Repository size limits

By on May 30, 2014

In order to improve and maintain the overall performance for everyone who uses Bitbucket, we are rolling out size limits on newly-created repositories. Starting today, repository size limits will be:

If you already have a repository that is larger than the 2GB limit, your repository has been grandfathered so you won’t have any issues. Should you find your new repository approaching the 1GB soft limit, check out our documentation on how to reduce repository sizes or our blog “How to handle big repositories”.

Of course, Bitbucket still offers unlimited private repositories free for five users!

• Raleigh
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

How do we how large our repositories are and if we have any that currently close to the limit?

• Sebastiano Pilla
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

This is not necessarily good news for us (though I understand your motivation in imposing those restrictions). Do you plan you offer bigger repository sizes for paying customers?

• Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Support for larger repos is something we may offer in the future but have no plans at this time.

The primary motivation to implement repo limits to protect the service from run away repos that are causing havoc on performance. Right now only about .01% of repos are over the 2GB limit and are mostly from individual users for non-code projects such as storing MP3s or movies.

• Lachlan Gemmell
        Posted June 19, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

So are you grandfathering those pre-existing huge repositories that are abusing the service as well?

• Michael Stevenson
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

That’s unfortunate. Given that most of my project repos are in excess of 1 GB, it sounds like I’ll need to discontinue using BitBucket for all future work unless a paid tier with a significantly higher repo size limit is offered soon.

• Hannan Ali
      Posted December 21, 2015 at 12:10 am | Permalink

are you doing fucking photography or sound editing in git?

• Michael Stevenson
        Posted December 21, 2015 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Game and media-rich app development, where code and assets aren’t easily separable.

Since I wrote that comment two years ago, we moved to a self-hosted Atlassian Stash server and it was smooth sailing. Atlassian is now working on a LFS implementation for Stash (now branded BitBucket Server) which we’ll migrate to.

• Hannan Ali
          Posted December 21, 2015 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Stash seems a good solution for your needs. Good Luck migrating. but you know what I love Github more cos they sent me free stickers 😉

• Hannan Ali
          Posted December 21, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

There are more reasons too though..

• Hannan Ali
      Posted December 21, 2015 at 12:10 am | Permalink

you can use git lfs by github though…

• Michael Stevenson
        Posted December 21, 2015 at 8:06 am | Permalink

There were no hosted LFS solutions available when this blog was posted, and GitHub’s LFS implementation was more than a year away from being announced.

• Hannan Ali
          Posted December 21, 2015 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Oh yup I noticed you said it was a long time ago.. 2 years in tech is a very long time.. but github lfs is really cool though.. just one command

git lfs track *.png

to track all the png files

• kevintho
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Are “Issues”, “Wiki”, and “Downloads” included (counted) in the size limits? Or do these new size limits refer only to the repository itself?

• Jens Laufer
    Posted July 9, 2014 at 6:09 am | Permalink

So can have 20 repos with 1GB? Or is there also a limit on the account level?

• killerloader
      Posted July 14, 2015 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

quotes from “razaq omar” (STAFF)

Please refer to our official guidelines and size limits on Bitbucket repositories in this article.. Bitbucket does not have any limits on the amount of size a user consumes in their account, but a single repository should not go over 2GB, as GIT will normally start suffering performance problems and that’s by Git design.”

So yeah, there is no size limit on the account level, unless they’ve changed it since this post (2014 some time)

• msx
    Posted February 23, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I LOVE BITBUCKET! – Can’t say the same about Confluence ¬¬
    Thanks guys for your great work.

• Tasadduq Ali
    Posted March 7, 2015 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Hi Bitbucket team
    Great work guys (y)

M Tasadduq Ali

• Andrey Fedyashov
    Posted March 14, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Hi! I’ve gone through steps to reduce repository size via BFG. I see mirrored clone of repository is significantly smaller now, so I performed pruning, GC and pushing to bitbucket. I don’t see the size in settings to reflect immediately. How long it will take for bitbucket to reflect those changes in size?

• mario tabali
    Posted July 16, 2015 at 7:56 am | Permalink

why don’t you guys offer dropbox google drive pack i get crazy having different subscription for git pictures so on

• Sean
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

If the 2 GB limit has already been exceeded, and Bitbucket restricted my ability to push, how do I delete files in my repository? I’ve moved/deleted files but Bitbucket won’t let me push the commits so I’m stuck with my old repository and unable to make changes to be backed up without copying my files, creating two new repositories, and deleting the first repository. This way I lose all of my old commits and old code which is information I really needed. I can’t seem to find any help on this issue. The only help I get is how to delete files when I’m close to the 2 GB limit (which is obvious), but now that I reached the limit, I’m helpless. Any help is appreciated.

• Александр
      Posted December 23, 2015 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Actually, even when you delete/remove files in repository (and then doing commit), those files are still left in the repository history, they are just marked as removed, but continue to occupy space on disk (inside .hg/.git folder). Reducing repository size without deleting it is a bit complicated thing. See this before-mentioned doc. But there also can be some “caching issues” (see this issue).

• Benjamin Leppard
    Posted October 20, 2015 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Per supposedly Atlassian is working with GitHub on Git LFS support. But there is no timeline mentioned, so given Atlassian’s normal development pace, we could be waiting awhile.

• Luis Fernando
    Posted December 8, 2015 at 7:29 am | Permalink

What would be the optimal way to manage assets in a game project ? like images, 3D models, etc … these can easily make the project exceed 2GB.

• Posted February 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Wow Bitbucket is so cool!

• Michael Ivanov
    Posted April 5, 2016 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Dear Bitbucket.I am your user already for several years.I think that the model where I can pay for additional space could be very beneficial for both parties.Some dudes here think people are mad needing more than 2gb of space and that’s usually true when the project contains mostly code.But if the project comes from the field of gaming or UI there are assets like images,data files etc.Unity3D project is one of those where it is really hard to decouple graphic assets from the code.And using 2 different cloud services for code and for assets is a pain in the ass.

• Ganesh Kumar Pandithurai
    Posted September 7, 2016 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Is Bitbucketserver 4.9 also has 2GB limit?

• Brent Plump
      Posted September 7, 2016 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Please see my reply to your post above. Bitbucket Server has no repository size limits.

• Ganesh Kumar Pandithurai
    Posted September 7, 2016 at 7:26 am | Permalink

We recently moved to Bitbucket. It is a cool tool.

• Ganesh Kumar Pandithurai
    Posted September 7, 2016 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Would like to understand what is the repository size limit for Bitbucket 4.9.

• Brent Plump
      Posted September 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

This post is only relevant to Bitbucket Cloud. If you are running Bitbucket Server on your own server, there are no repository size limits.