Issue Tracker User Interface Updates

By on July 26, 2012

We’re happy to announce a set of user interface changes to the issue tracker that make creating, updating and managing the workflow status of issues a lot easier. Let’s jump in to see what’s new!

Create Issue

We’ve updated the Create Issue form to match the new style rolled out with Bitbucket Teams. Inform your team of any issues with a cleaner interface.

View Issue

We’ve changed the View Issue Screen, so issue transitions are easier to read. We’ve also added links, so you can filter issues by user, milestone, status, component, or version.

Edit Issue

We’ve changed things up a bit, so you can access information more quickly. The workflow status is now displayed at the top of every issue, and the most common workflow transitions are available to you at a single-click!

Attributes such as type, priority, and assignee are now displayed side-by-side with the issue title and description. We’ve even included the number of watchers, so you can easily gauge the interest of a particular issue.

• Bbuser
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Any updates on per-line comments?

• Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

We are writing a line commenting implementation now. No details on a release date yet.

• Vol
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Is it still possible to close an issue with a comment?

• Anonymous
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

At the moment, it will require multiple steps to perform this action. We are working to bring back simultaneous actions in a new way in the future. Please follow https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/4380/bring-back-editing-while-commenting-bb for an update on the progress of this.

• Petr Marek
        Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:01 am | Permalink

that’s fundamental

• Posted August 7, 2012 at 6:39 am | Permalink

I think losing this is a huge loss to usability. My typical workflow was “Comment + Change Status + Change Assignee” in one step, but now it takes three.

• Thomas Johansson
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

It’s a me!

• None
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Notifications on issue comments don’t work anymore. Even newsfeed don’t show comments.

Pleas fix this. Notifications are VERY important.

• Anonymous
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

We haven’t has any similar reports of issues with notifications, as they weren’t changed in the UI rework. If you aren’t getting the notifications you think you should, please raise a support request to support@bitbucket.org and we’ll help you out.

• None
        Posted July 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your reply. I will contact the support.

• WebDucer
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 2:23 am | Permalink

It’s realy more usable now.

The only one thing I miss for bitbucket, is a mylyn connector for Eclipse.

• Anonymous
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:09 am | Permalink

because i can’t use vimperator and vrome in BitBucket (don’t know what in bitbucket’s css caused these tools unusable), i am glad to see a desktop app or mylyn connector for bitbucket, issue tracker, thanks!

• Arian Fornaris
        Posted August 1, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Yes, I need a maylyn connector too. Or at least something that allow me (us) to work with BB issues offline.

• Anonymous
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:11 am | Permalink

i found there is no comment number now. losing this feature introduces a very very big fatal disadvantage 🙁

• Anonymous
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

There is a comment count next to the Comments heading. Is this what you are referring to?

• Anonymous
        Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

not the count of all comments, but comment #1, #2, #3. that’s the way comment #m replying comment #n made possible. without the comment number on each one, the usability of issue tracker is quite limited.

• Bjoern Sjut
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:20 am | Permalink

Hi,

as part of the update it seems that some advanced queries don’t work anymore. The following query e.g. lists also resolved and wontfix statusses, even though it’s required not to: https://bitbucket.org/USERNAME/PROJECTNAME/issues?milestone=Testing%20MVP%201&status=%21resolved&status=%21wontfix&status=%21duplicate

(obviosuly username and projectname and milestone has to be adapted to any repository this link is tested on…

Another issue is that the preview of the “Create Issue” view is not shown anymore. Actually it was quite nice to have a preview of what the wiki creole syntax would actually generate below the editing box.

• Vol
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:47 am | Permalink

There’s no preview on comments either. I’m sure there was one before.

• Posted July 27, 2012 at 7:32 am | Permalink

“update issue” doesn’t work! We cannot edit issues.

• Anonymous
      Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

We haven’t had any similar reports as of yet. Please send us a support request with your details to support@bitbucket.org and we’ll investigate.

• Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Where did the ‘Bump’ button go?

• Arian Fornaris
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Man, what did you do with this new interface? I think it is slower and I do not see any preview of the comment while I’m typing! Oh god! I hope you fix this soon. Any thing I can help you…

• Anonymous
    Posted July 31, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Why doesn’t this use the same comments implementation as for commits? I mean, I thought they’ll be threaded as well.

• Arian Fornaris
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Other thing… Now I can’t add a comment and change the issue status at the same time, I mean, with the same “HTTP POST”. It was a nice feature to have in slow connections.

• Andrew Shapton
    Posted August 6, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

• Andrew Shapton
    Posted August 6, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Type your coHow do I now change the assignee of an issue ? I cant seem to do that any more – apart from that – Luuuurve Bitbucket !!! mment here.

• Hsiao-Ting Wang
    Posted August 20, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Hi, I have a feature request. We have 5 developer coworking on one project. In general, we need to assign a bug to two or more developers. However, we now just can assign one person as
    Assignee. How or Can we do this kind of assignment on BigBucket issue tracker? Thank you.

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I have never seen such a feature in issue trackers (or more generally in workflow engines) but it sounds like a good idea

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink

With the advent of mobile devices, I would like to see a more compact interface for mobile phones, so that users can report issues directly from their phone.

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

The inteface is quite clean, which is unusual for bug trackers, congrats!

It might sound a little bit confusing for non English speakers, though. Do you have plans for internationalization?

I really don’t mind to have the interface in English myself, but everything that end-users can see (and mostly issues) should be localized.

• Posted October 12, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

When adding code peaces into issues comments, previewed comment doesn’t parse correctly. {{{#!html doesn’t work any more! We were in real need to adding code peaces into issues, but now it’s just plain text, so uncomfortable. Please fix it, please.

• Edward
    Posted March 11, 2015 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Is there a central location for feedback on the production? I would like to make a feature request on creating hotlists for issues. I would like to see the tasks in an arbitrary order so I can just go down the list and tackle them.

• José Luis Valencia