Improved repositories drop-down

By on July 1, 2011

For far too long, the repositories drop-down has been far from optimal. Something of an embarrassment in fact. While not completely unusable, the drop-down is unwieldy for users with access to dozens of repos:

Bitbucket's old repositories drop-down
Old repositories drop-down

Additionally, its appearance never really blew my skirt up.

I’m pretty pleased with what we’ve come up with to address these issues:

Bitbucket's new repositories drop-down
Improved repositories drop-down

We now limit the number of repositories displayed to ten. Ten relevant repositories. Plus, the drop-down is no longer an eyesore. Skirt. Blown. Up. (I hope yours is too.)

As always we love receiving feedback from other Bitbucket users. Let us know if you think of a way to further improve this feature.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:12 am | Permalink

I have access to 30+ projects so this is a much welcomed improvement 🙂

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:12 am | Permalink

I have access to 30+ projects so this is a much welcomed improvement 🙂

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:12 am | Permalink

I have access to 30+ projects so this is a much welcomed improvement 🙂

• Latif Khalifa
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I can’t seem to find other people’s private repositories that I have been granted access to. When I go to the URL of their repo directly I can browse it fine.

• Latif Khalifa
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

• Latif Khalifa
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

That’s a consequence of our recent changes. We no longer list every repository to which one has direct access, so the drop-down is no longer canonical. While the old approach worked well for users with access to a handful of repos, we hope the new drop-down will work well for all Bitbucket users.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Nice. Although I’d like to see the list be unique – E.g. don’t show a recently updated repo in recently viewed and vice versa.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Awesome!!! Looks really nice.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Awesome!!! Looks really nice.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Awesome!!! Looks really nice.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Maybe a 2 columns drop down would have be nice, so we can have 20 repos without having to scroll, especially if the repo are uniques within the 2 columns like Thomas Johansson said.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

• Jon Langevin
      Posted July 13, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Great suggestion, would be nice to have more repos displayed in an accessible manner. Perhaps hide any extra info until onhover? So if you had 2 columns, hovering a cell (repo) in the left column would have it expand to cover both columns, to display extra information?

• av
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

In the “commit” tab, which also changed, can we get back the green “branch name” tags on the commits from those branches? nnWith several feature branches going it was really helpful.

• av
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

With several feature branches going it was really helpful.

• av
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

With several feature branches going it was really helpful.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Great suggestion, av. I’ve had an idea as to how we might differentiate branches in an intuitive way, but it’s not easy to describe in words. Suffice to say that we’re aware of this deficiency and are thinking how best to address it.

• av
        Posted July 2, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

to be honest since you’re already cutting into the commit messages, might as well put those branch names back in the same spot….and the column with “5 minutes ago” and similar messages could be drastically shortened to even “5m ago”, “9h ago”, etc.

Thanks for addressing this issue though.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Looks good.nnnI wouldn’t remove dupes as Thomas suggests … ie. items both in Recently viewed/updated, as you lose the information on what you work on (viewed) and what was updated.nnBut I’d welcome if the Recently viewed/updated headers were clickable (or had All link at the right side to them), so we could get complete sorted list of last viewed/updated repos. This would be useful if you work with more than 5 repos actively.nnThanks for your effort!nJan

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Looks good.

Thanks for your effort!
    Jan

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Looks good.

Thanks for your effort!
    Jan

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback, Jan. I like the idea of having the recently viewed/updated headings link to complete lists, and will keep it in mind.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Thank you – this is much better than the kilometric dropdown! One thing I’d love to see sometime is a live search to narrow down repos, either on the dropdown or the repo list on the sidebar. That way, if I’m looking for a given repo I can start typing to narrow the list either to that item or down to something manageable.

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

• Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I totally agree that searching for repositories is currently less easy than it could be. We’re working to improve this.

p.s. I’m gonna refer to the old drop-down as the “kilometric” one from now on. 🙂

• Daniel Gonu00e7alves
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Much better! Good work, thank you guys!

• Daniel Gonçalves
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Much better! Good work, thank you guys!

• Daniel Gonçalves
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Much better! Good work, thank you guys!

• Anonymous
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

In the past, RayBan has been rather effective when it comes to viral videos. Last night, RayBan released their latest video: “Guy Has Glasses Tattooed On His Face”

Under the name In no way Hide Films, RayBan releases viral video to promote their glasses. Within this series, their most effective video yet; the famous Sunglass catching video got over 4. 5 thousand views on YouTube.

Even though not all of RayBan’s videos were this huge of a hit; “The Kiss”, “Human Zoo” and “Streaker” for example , RayBan is text book example of how on-line video can reach a huge number. Via the In no way Hide Films’ YouTube route, RayBan has created a big group of followers, which they can easily provide with compelling content in order to develop a viral effect. And most of RayBan successes contain the so called WTF factor: “Cow Gives Delivery To A Dude”and also the latest video “Guy Has Glasses Tattooed On His Face” leave you with a feeling of ‘what just happened’. Which makes it the right content to pass on to your friends, since you know they will end up with the exact same surprised face as you did.

As said, the “Sunglass Catching” generated over 4. 5 thousand views on YouTube exclusively. However , the video was uploaded to more video portals than just YouTube. Even though YouTube generated by far the most quantity of views, a viral measurement tool will help gain insights in how a video is spreading online and how it’s success, or failure of course , is evolving.

ViralTracker is such an independent third-party viral measurement business, that actions reach, response, ratings and feedback of viral videos, trailers and widgets, in an incredible number of blogs, communities, social support systems and over 350 video sharing portals in more than 50 countries.

Given the success of the other videos, we have questioned ViralTracker to track the “Guy Has Glasses Tattooed To Their Face”, right now in 57. 033 views, to grasp it is viral spread.