Discovering new projects on Bitbucket

By on April 27, 2011

For Atlassian’s most recent FedEx, I decided to tackle an issue we’ve had with the old explore page: It wasn’t very useful for finding new projects! We were showing repositories with the most number of commits that month, and that tended to be the same 5 to 10 repositories. What about up and coming projects? What about repos people are talking about elsewhere on the internet?

To that end, I came up with three minor changes:

1. Instead of displaying trending repositories for the month by commits, display trending repositories for the week by new followers.
  2. Allow Bitbucket staff to highlight repositories that might not otherwise show up in the trending list.
  3. Display recent tweets that link to bitbucket.org (minus automated tweets for new commits).

The end result is a quick, at-a-glance view of what’s happening on Bitbucket and what the community’s currently talking about:

a screenshot of the new explore page

See the new explore page in action on Bitbucket!

• Posted April 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

One thing that is still missing is a way to explore repos by language.

• Posted April 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

One thing that is still missing is a way to explore repos by language.

• Posted April 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

One thing that is still missing is a way to explore repos by language.

• Anonymous
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

That’s great, it really is. But are you guys ever going to implement things like:nn* Issue 1561: The ability to define your own states for issues (states like resolved, open, etc). This is *2 years old*.n* Issue 278: Not being notified of your own changes to issues and the like. This is *3* years old.n* Issue 934: Creating/marking issues as private. Two years old.nnAdd real, meaningful functionality to Bitbucket before you add frills like this. I’ve been using Bitbucket for a year now, and I haven’t seen a single significant feature like this added at all. I’m sure there’s been a lot of backend functionality and so forth, but the capabilities of accounts is essentially unchanged. This is not good.nnBitbucket’s issue tracker is the most basic, bare-bones issue tracker on the Internet. There is no reason why it couldn’t be more full featured.

• Anonymous
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

* Issue 934: Creating/marking issues as private. Two years old.

• Anonymous
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

* Issue 934: Creating/marking issues as private. Two years old.

• Posted May 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA for the issue tracker improvements. We fully appreciate the limitations the issue tracker has. Each of your concerns is present in our day-to-day management of our public issue tracker on Bitbucket.

Our efforts since acquisition have been to improve the stability and core of Bitbucket, which is code hosting. Many times this comes in the form of bug fixes, which we publish at the end of every month. At other times, features such as compare view and groups for small teams were prioritized so that we could expand from 1 developer to 9.

If you are able to deploy software on your own servers, Atlassian’s starter licenses might be an opportunity for you. For $10 annually, you can deploy your own instance of JIRA for up to 10 users.

We welcome your feedback and hope that you enjoy Bitbucket and continue to provide feedback in the future.

• Anonymous
        Posted May 3, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I understand you have to prioritize your time as best you can. But you also have to accept the fact that there are other people out there doing what you do, and right now they’re doing it *better* than you do. If GitHub had a Mercurial option, I’d have already jumped ship months ago (because I hate Git with every fiber of my being).

Bitbucket works; it is functional for managing a project. But it is very, *very* unpolished right now. Polish is how you keep users and expand your userbase. Polish is what separates the merely functional from the very good. Ignoring polish only means that your users will jump ship the moment someone else comes along with something better that does the same thing your stuff does.

Discovering new projects is important. But so is making the projects you already have *better*. I would suggest that it’s more important.

• Delori J Miller
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 8:23 am | Permalink

I like it. n

• Shrawan Patel
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

This post excellently highlights what the author is trying to communicate. Nonetheless, the article has been framed excellently well and all credits to the author. For more information on how to load balance your web servers, please visit ..nhttp://serverloadbalancing.biz/wordpressbiz/, nhttp://serverloadbalancing.info/wordpressinfo/

• Anonymous
    Posted March 7, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I’ve just come here looking for a way to find some interesting projects on BB – hoping to find something I might be able to contribute to. But by default the explore page is empty… filtering does nothing – so then I started thinking of things to search on, which is self-defeating…. If I know what I want to find then I’ll just go find it and the explore page is useless.

I’d rather see a Bitbucket version of github’s gists than any time spent on a search page… google does a pretty good job of search after alll

• Amar
    Posted December 27, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Looks like the link above is no longer working… 🙁 [redirects to this https://bitbucket.org/repo/all%5D

It looks like its showing the old page and filtering to AllTime/month/week shows 0 results….

I guess no one is maintaining this at all….

Have a look.