Port 22 blocked? Can't use SSH? No problem.

By on December 17, 2010

Please note that we discontinued SSH on port 443 on June 15, 2011 after upgrading HAProxy and integrating with Stunnel. Please contact us if you’re still interested in this service and we’ll consider bringing it back.

Some of you out there are missing out on the awesomeness of using Mercurial over SSH, due to your university/workplace blocking port 22. With the recent introduction of HAProxy, which has protocol-level inspection of traffic, we now have the luxury of configuring a commonly open port to support SSH as well as what it was intended for.

So we’re doing that on port 443, aka SSL/HTTPS. What organization would possibly block that? 😉

It works:

[cantor/jnoehr] /tmp > hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org:443/jespern/django-piston -v
running ssh hg@bitbucket.org -p 443 “hg -R jespern/django-piston serve –stdio”
destination directory: django-piston
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 279 changesets with 479 changes to 74 files
updating to branch default
And there you have it. SSH support over port 443.

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I checked HAProxy website, and it says that it does not support SSL.nnI’m confused… How do you use HAProxy together with SSL and HTTPS?

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I checked HAProxy website, and it says that it does not support SSL.

I’m confused… How do you use HAProxy together with SSL and HTTPS?

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I checked HAProxy website, and it says that it does not support SSL.

I’m confused… How do you use HAProxy together with SSL and HTTPS?

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

It’s not using SSL, it’s just running on the port.

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

This. Is. Awesome! I don’t have the need anymore, but did work at a place that blocked 22. This would have come in very handy, and I’m sure it will for many of my former coworkers. Thanks!

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

• Posted December 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

• Shrawan Patel
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

This post excellently highlights what the author is trying to communicate. Nonetheless, the article has been framed excellently well and all credits to the author. For more information on how to load balance your web servers, please visit ..nhttp://serverloadbalancing.biz/wordpressbiz/, nhttp://serverloadbalancing.info/wordpressinfo/

• Mattias
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I would like if you open ssh on port 443 or some other than 22 again… any plans for that?

• Charles McLaughlin
      Posted April 15, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, we’re planning to re-introduce support for ssh on a non-standard port/hostname.  Follow this issue for updates:

• Mattias
        Posted April 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Great thanks!

• Pranav Infosys
        Posted May 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

do you have a timeline by when it would be released?

• Bob Rao
        Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

It has been over a year since this issue was raised, two since the previous service was discontinued. Any updates?

• m0hd
    Posted June 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

how to use this code

• Ken
    Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

What’s the suggested method to access bitbucket from a continuous integration server (Jenkins) behind a firewall that doesn’t allow port 22?

• Martín Coll