Bitbucket Joins Atlassian

By on September 29, 2010

Big news today from Bitbucket.org – we’ve joined Atlassian.

It’s been an exciting two years for Bitbucket, but it’s just beginning. The Bitbucket team is pumped to join the Atlassian guys, and together we’re going to build the absolutely best hosted code collaboration system atop Mercurial. We’re working hard to make the service even better, and now we’ve brought in reinforcements!

Free code-hosting

As part of the big announcement, we’re launching all-new pricing tiers. All accounts now have unlimited private and public repositories with unlimited storage. You can now get a 5-user private code repository account for free… forever. And, for the next week, we are offering a free 12-month subscription to the 10-user tier.

Account changes

Bitbucket customers will be receiving emails from us shortly with details about their new accounts. Atlassian will be managing subscriptions, so as of today, we have canceled everyone’s PayPal subscription. Customers with less than five users will automatically be rolled into the new 5-user free pricing tier, but if you have more than 5-users, you’re going to want to update your payment information for the new subscription To manage your new account or upgrade, login to Bitbucket.

Tell a friend

Help spread the message@Atlassian & @Bitbucket offering free private code hosting. 10-user offer until Oct.  3. http://atlss.in/freeyear #mercurial #dvcs” via Twitter.

More information

Check out the acquisition FAQ.

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

“As part of the big announcement, we’re launching all-new pricing tiers. All accounts now have unlimited private and public repositories with unlimited storage.”

This is an awesome offering! Well done, guys.

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

This is an awesome offering! Well done, guys.

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Congrats Jesper and team!!

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Congrats Jesper and team!!

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Great! The only thing I don't like about that is the menu shadow which is a bit too dark 😀
    Thanks guys, Bitbucket is an excellent service.

• Yaocl
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

It is a good news for any SOHO need many private repositories.

• T27duck
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Pretty douchebaggery move just changing pricing tiers on all users like this. Space wasn't an issue for us and we enjoyed the fact we could put any number of our dev teams on a repo. We'll be taking our business elsewhere now and I'm sure many will follow.

This could be one of the most critical mistakes bitbucket has ever made.

• Dave
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Very cool. Looking forward to maybe some nice integration between Jira and Bitbucket, two of my favorite services?

• foodpoison
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

congrats!!

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Awesome news!

• Xiong Chiamiov
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

The link to the press release is 404ing.

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Congrats! Atlassian sounds like a great company to work for.

I do notice they look like a java shop, do you still plan on using python and django on bitbucket going forward, or are you going to be changing that over to java as well?

• Derek Jones
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Hey this is great to hear, congratulations Jesper and the new BitBucket team!

• megaman821
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Awesome news and a great new offering. I have tons of small projects so this is perfect for me.

• Posted September 28, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Wow this free user thing is really going to pinch the industry!

• Robert David Williams
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I am very concerned. I don't like what Atlassian did to JIRA recently (I previously loved it) and I hate Confluence and Bamboo. If you break BitBucket by making it another similar heavy-weight “enterprise tool”, I will likewise be moving on–and my startup with me.

I moved my previous consulting firm to BitBucket because it was just the perfect lightweight toolset to support our agile project. I chose BitBucket for my startup for the same reason.

Time to start looking for a decent lightweight toolset again (can you say “featuritis” and “scope creep”?). What a shame.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

This is an awesome offering! Well done, guys.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Congrats Jesper and team!!

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

This is an awesome offering! Well done, guys.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Congrats Jesper and team!!

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Great! The only thing I don’t like about that is the menu shadow which is a bit too dark 😀
    Thanks guys, Bitbucket is an excellent service.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Thanks guys, Bitbucket is an excellent service.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Don’t expect the Bitbucket UI to stay exactly as it exists today. Word is that some exciting changes are to be rolled out over the coming months. 🙂

• Yaocl
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

It is a good news for any SOHO need many private repositories.

• Yaocl
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

It is a good news for any SOHO need many private repositories.

• T27duck
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Pretty douchebaggery move just changing pricing tiers on all users like this. Space wasn’t an issue for us and we enjoyed the fact we could put any number of our dev teams on a repo. We’ll be taking our business elsewhere now and I’m sure many will follow.

This could be one of the most critical mistakes bitbucket has ever made.

• T27duck
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink

This could be one of the most critical mistakes bitbucket has ever made.

• Xiong Chiamiov
      Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:33 am | Permalink

You can be grandfathered in to your previous plan for 12 months.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Wait a second…moving to strengthen the business with a proven partner like Atlassian is a ‘critical mistake’? I think the critical mistake, and the douchebaggery for that matter, lies solely on your shoulders. Maybe before jumping to conclusions you should give them a chance eh?

• Posted October 6, 2011 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Lol Jason @ your comment. Any idea what free code hosting is though? I’m a bit uncertain.. I swear ever since I was prescribed imprimine TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants) I have trouble concentrating, maybe the dosage is too high idk.. anyway, cool post.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I think the change from 1 to unlimited private repositories is pretty nice! For my personal use this really opens up the ability to not immediately make every embarrassing little project to the world, and you can even use them for small teams.

If you have a bigger team working on a private project (aka commercial project most likely), surely you can cough up the monthly fee…?

• Dave
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

• Dave
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Also nice promotion for Mercurial that Atlassian so strongly associates itself with it.

• Anonymous
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:21 am | Permalink

congrats!!

• Anonymous
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:21 am | Permalink

congrats!!

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Awesome news!

• Xiong Chiamiov
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink

The link to the press release is 404ing.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Awesome news!

• Xiong Chiamiov
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink

The link to the press release is 404ing.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Congrats! Atlassian sounds like a great company to work for.

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Congrats! Atlassian sounds like a great company to work for.

• Jonathan Nolen
      Posted September 29, 2010 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Bitbuckt is still proudly a Python/Django app. I, for one, am really happy to bring another programming language into Atlassian. I always think you knowing a second language makes you a much better developer, and I’m betting that having a second language in Atlassian can bring some similar benefits to the whole company.

• Derek Jones
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Hey this is great to hear, congratulations Jesper and the new BitBucket team!

• Derek Jones
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Hey this is great to hear, congratulations Jesper and the new BitBucket team!

• megaman821
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:08 am | Permalink

• megaman821
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:08 am | Permalink

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Wow this free user thing is really going to pinch the industry!

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Wow this free user thing is really going to pinch the industry!

• dillyh
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

This is totally awesome! Congrats!

• Robert David Williams
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:37 am | Permalink

I am very concerned. I don’t like what Atlassian did to JIRA recently (I previously loved it) and I hate Confluence and Bamboo. If you break BitBucket by making it another similar heavy-weight “enterprise tool”, I will likewise be moving on–and my startup with me.

• Robert David Williams
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 2:37 am | Permalink

• Posted September 29, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Care to elaborate on just what changes Atlassian made to JIRA that you don’t like? I’ve been using it since v1 and haven’t been happier with it. Love Confluence too….fantastic wiki software. I’m pretty excited about the merge of BitBucket with Atlassian. Looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

• Anonymous
      Posted September 29, 2010 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Robert,

This was my concern as well when they first approached me. However, I found that they have a very similar vision for Bitbucket, and for that reason, I decided to partner up. I’m staying with the company for the years to come, and I won’t let it deteriorate into something I’m not proud of.

• Anonymous
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 4:36 am | Permalink

This is totally awesome! Congrats!

• Anonymous
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 4:36 am | Permalink

This is totally awesome! Congrats!

• abuehl
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 4:22 am | Permalink

I don't really like the new indemnification clauses in the terms of service. Neither github nor CodePlex have such a thing.

• abuehl
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I don’t really like the new indemnification clauses in the terms of service. Neither github nor CodePlex have such a thing.

• abuehl
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

• Snaky
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 1:49 am | Permalink

If you now have the resources, then please help me stupid developer to gain freedom from having three or four different dvcs tools around and x different repositories on which I always forget if git / hg / svn / whatever to use – I do not have enough brain to learn ALL dvcs that exist – please invent an abstraction that enables me to forget about hg / git / svn / whatever subtile differences! THANKS!

• Snaky
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

• Snaky
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

• akd
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Really, this is bothering me a little bit. I was on the free plan, but thinking of upgrading to the first paid plan for the benefit of more private repos. Disk space was not a factor, I used very little. The important part of Bitbucket to me was the ease and flexibility of access control.
    Now, unlimited private repositories and disk space doesn't mean a whole lot when I have to be choosy about who gets access. Even the 10 users plan feels really restrictive, and what really is the point of paying $120 more than $0 for double the users? Don't misinterpret as me whining about a free service, like I said I was willing to go to a paid plan in the past, now I am not so sure.

• akd
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Now, unlimited private repositories and disk space doesn’t mean a whole lot when I have to be choosy about who gets access. Even the 10 users plan feels really restrictive, and what really is the point of paying $120 more than $0 for double the users? Don’t misinterpret as me whining about a free service, like I said I was willing to go to a paid plan in the past, now I am not so sure.

• akd
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

• Posted October 2, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Wow!
    Wonderful news, and I'm really happy for Jesper and the staff of Bitbucket, and I want to express my congratulations to them.

I'm sure more good news will come from this joining.

• Posted October 2, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Cynosureks.com is top USA online training services based on California, sotware online tarining leading US IT tech jobs portal,careers,employement,consultancies,USA jobs. http://www.cynosureks.com

IT online jobs,Salesforce, Hyperion, Pega, Maximo, SAP – SD, SAP – PP, SAP – Netweaver, SAP – HR, SAP – CRM, Microstrategy, Teradata DBA, Teradata Dev, Oracle BPEL SOA, SAP – ABAP, SAP – FICO, QTP 10.0, Project Management Program, Testing Tools, Business Analyst, Veritas Netbackup, Obiee, Cognos tm1, PL – SQL , Load Runner (Advance), Java-J2EE,.Net.

• Posted October 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Wow!
    Wonderful news, and I’m really happy for Jesper and the staff of Bitbucket, and I want to express my congratulations to them.

I’m sure more good news will come from this joining.

• Posted October 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Wow!

I’m sure more good news will come from this joining.

• Smartnut007
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

For someone starting fresh on bitbucket.
    Is it better to stick to the default bitbucket issue tracker ? If so , will it be pulled into JIRA at some point.
    The reason I dont want to go with JIRA straight away is I really like integrating code commits and issues.
    Similarly for wiki and Confluence.

My question is will both of them be merged at some point or will they live independently ?

• Smartnut007
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 6:39 am | Permalink

For someone starting fresh on bitbucket.
    Similarly for wiki and Confluence.

• Smartnut007
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 6:39 am | Permalink

For someone starting fresh on bitbucket.
    Similarly for wiki and Confluence.

• Bitbucket support
      Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Hi Smartnut007,

We intend to continue improving BB’s issue tracker and wiki independently, so go ahead and enjoy using them!

Cheers,
      Jonathan

• Bob
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I thinks it's really not-done to lock-out FLOSS PUBLIC projects by a > 5 (10) users base.
    These projects are the key driver of FLOSS communities and FreeSoftware licences, where this spirit is available in projects like Mercurial, Python.
    So why this weird choice for minimum useraccounts on public repos?

• Bob
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I thinks it’s really not-done to lock-out FLOSS PUBLIC projects by a > 5 (10) users base.
    So why this weird choice for minimum useraccounts on public repos?

• Bob
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

So why this weird choice for minimum useraccounts on public repos?

• Bitbucket support
      Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Hi Bob,

Just want to be sure that you’re clear about our new pricing terms — public repos remains unlimited in all respects. A user can have *unlimited public repos*, with an *unlimited number of collaborators*, with *unlimited space,* forever.

It’s only private repos that have a user-limitation.

We love Open Source software, always have, and we’ll always do everything in our power support it.

Cheers,
      Jonathan

• Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

It may be awesome if AtlASSian will fix the design.
    The logo with “by ATLASSIAN” looks like an ass. These links at the top… And footer 🙁

Bitbucket had one of the best designs… now it's one of the worst. Damn AtlASSian ASSes, acquiring a web service DOESN'T mean fucking up its design!

• Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

It may be awesome if AtlASSian will fix the design.

Bitbucket had one of the best designs… now it’s one of the worst. Damn AtlASSian ASSes, acquiring a web service DOESN’T mean fucking up its design!

• Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

It may be awesome if AtlASSian will fix the design.

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Posted March 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Posted March 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Posted March 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I think it can effect on their user numbers on a large scale.

• Shrawan Patel
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

This post excellently highlights what the author is trying to communicate. Nonetheless, the article has been framed excellently well and all credits to the author. For more information on how to load balance your web servers, please visit ..nhttp://serverloadbalancing.biz/wordpressbiz/, nhttp://serverloadbalancing.info/wordpressinfo/

7 Trackbacks